A picture is worth…

So the prompt for this week is about images. It’s really fitting because our project will be heavily based on images. Our primary source for images will be school years books, but we also have some supplementary sources. These will be the school newspaper, magazines from my department’s archive, and one of our interviewee’s offered to bring some pictures so hopefully we can incorporate those.

In my mind the best way to study fashion is through images. While words are important to fashion (just think of all the graphic t-shirts you probably own), fashion is inherently visual. One of the reasons in my future career I want to design sewing patterns is many pattern instructions are still heavily text-based, with a few fuzzy images. Tradition sewing patterns are still stuck in ancient times, while many sewing bloggers have discovered a simple picture can explain an instruction that would have taken more than a thousand words. What I envision for our website is for the reader to be immersed in Montevallo in the 1980’s. Obliviously some description is helpful, but more can be accomplish by focusing on making the website visually interesting.

The next step Emma and I are trying to figure out is how to eliminate some steps actually. While we will be using Google Slide for some pictures, we want to find a simpler way to show the yearbook photos. Since the yearbooks are online in a format where you can look at each individual page, we want to see if we can somehow link to the webpage the yearbooks are on and have it show up on the final project website. It would eliminate downloading the yearbooks, cropping the pictures, uploading it to Google Slides, and uploading the slides. Whether or not that can be done it still to be discovered, I am going to try a link and see what happens on this post.

http://archive.org/stream/montage391980stud#page/n3/mode/2up

So more research is necessary. However if you would like to look at a Montevallo yearbook from 1980’s we have the link. Now to turn the words into pictures.

One Reply to “A picture is worth…”

1. Hi, Katherine.
    I hope Scott Hazelwood’s response to your tech question helps you decide how to deal with the images. It sounds like his ideas would make it a bit easier? I find the photographs fascinating! I followed your link . . . and, yep, that’s exactly what the 1980s looked like–hairstyles and all.
    Dr. Brown